eRFC

two years of electronic ministry in the razorbacks for christ campus ministry

My Photo
Name:
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas, United States

Thursday, March 08, 2001

Sup? [heaven]

Sup?

It's time for your weekly reminder about supper in the union at 5:45. I, sadly, will most likely not be able to make it this week. I know it seems sacrilegious for me to miss the thing I unfailingly remind you of each week, but something's come up. ;)

There's been a lot of great discussion over the ole email list lately. Keep it up. A good friend of mine who recently sent an email to the group once said that he had previously refrained from writing because he didn't want to steal my thunder. The thing is, the thunder is not mine in the first place. God is the lightning that creates the thunder and it doesn't matter whose mouth it's comes out of.

I am SOOOOOOOOO pumped about missions!!! I wish we could just forego the rest of the semester and go now. Tonight at the mission meeting we learned of several new possibilities for places to go this summer. All of them sound really cool! However, none of them have given us a definite answer yet. Please be in prayer about these places as well as our already established trips to Prague and Cluj. There are also RFCs going to Africa, the Ukraine, and I'm sure some other places. Keep them in your prayers as well. Please pray that God will send His angels to assist all of our teams and fight back Satan and his demons who are sure to try to attack. More than that, please pray that God will place his hand on all our teams; that He'll keep us and our families safe, that all of our plans will go smoothly, that people will be touched, and that His will will be done.
That's something I pray about far too infrequently. How often do I ask God to send His angels and to place His Hand on this campus, city, country, world? Imagine if we all started praying that! I think God has limitless power that He's ready to unleash...all we have to do is ask.

This week has been a very prayerful week for me. Truthfully, I haven't spent near as much one on one time with God as I should. However, I have had the privilege of praying with a friend(s) just about every night this week. Tonight in class, Mark mentioned the peace that comes after a group prayer. It is so true! It is definitely a peace that surpasses all understanding, because I can't describe it. It is such a blessing to have a friend or two in whose presence you are comfortable spilling your soul to God. It is also such a blessing to hear a friend spill their soul to God. I truly hope that you have a friend/friends/group of friends who you pray with somewhat regularly. If not, find one. Don't wait for someone else to initiate it. It may be a little awkward for the first few times. After a while, though, it will be the highlight of your week!

Tonight in class, Mark also talked about how we long for our spiritual dwelling (2 Cor. 5:1-10). In addition, Wilson talked about heaven in a recent email. I must admit that I also have some reservations about what heaven's going to be like. The no tears thing is a weird thing to think about, and (of course, I would be the one to have to bring this up...I might as well, I already talk about it all the time) so is the no one being married or given into marriage thing. Even if we aren't married anymore when we get to heaven, I at least hope that my future wife and I feel some kind of special bond due to all the things we went through together in this life. That having been said, what heaven is going to be like is a cool thing to think about but is definitely something we don't need to worry about. Whatever it's going to be like it going to be AWESOME! I can't wait to be set free from the worries of this world, my self-consciousness, my struggles with sin, and to never have to say good-bye again. I can't wait to see God and learn all about Him. I also think that if we don't have some kind of a longing to be done with this life that maybe we love this life a little more than we're supposed to. However, lately, whenever I've read this and other passages, I've thought to myself: Who am I to ask to go home now? I've only been on this earth 20 years and in those 20 years I have accomplished very little for God. I know that I can't earn my way to heaven and that God's grace is able to cover me whether I ever win a soul or not, but I can't help but think that God put me here for a purpose and that whatever that purpose is, I haven't accomplished it yet. In addition, if Jesus came back today, many of my and your friends and loved ones wouldn't be going to heaven with us. Maybe I should be thankful for each new day because it's another chance for me to reach the people I need to reach. I know He was put on Earth for a much more important purpose than me, but I think Jesus said it best:

"Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify Your name!" John 12:27

I can't wait to go to heaven, but I don't think my time has come yet. However, what I think doesn't matter. He could come back anytime..."So we make it our goal to please Him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it." (2 Cor. 5:9) Let's do that: Whatever we do, whether in word or deed, let's do it all for the glory of God!

Here are some more verses to chew on:

"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."
James 5:16

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Phil 4:6,7

"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."
Matthew 18:19,20

"The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life."
John 12:25

Have a great day!

In Him,
Mitch

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home