eRFC

two years of electronic ministry in the razorbacks for christ campus ministry

My Photo
Name:
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas, United States

Thursday, February 22, 2001

Union [count your blessings]

Sup y'all?

Hope you're having a great day. Remember, we're eating supper at the Union at 5:45ish. Please come if you can.

Thanks to everyone who’s been contributing to the email discussions lately. Remember, this list is definitely NOT something reserved for only my use. Feel free to use it anytime you have something to say or announce or request. Also, thanks to everyone who participated in the discussion in class tonight. I really appreciate it. Please also remember to study the Bible and check things out for yourself. Like on Reading Rainbow, "Don't take my word for it." In the words of my dad, "Communication is a fragile thing." I always want to make that clear when I teach. I believe I've got a pretty good understanding of the truth and the word, but I often have a difficult time putting what I believe in my head into intelligible sentences. I think I'm getting better. Thanks for being patient with me. Thankfully I've got God whose power is made perfect in weakness helping me out!

Tonight we talked a little bit about how our motives can affect whether or not we're reflecting God's glory or seeking our own glory. As we talked, I mentioned how I always like getting compliments after I speak. However, if my motive for speaking is getting compliments rather than speaking God's word and teaching others about him, I'm doing it for the wrong reasons. I can honestly say that my motive is not to get compliments. Rather, they are a great encouragement. Thanks for being such great encouragers! I truly hope that when I teach, y'all feel like you've grown or that you've at least been encouraged.

Lately, I've realized how much I've been blessed. God has blessed me far beyond what I need! A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over has definitely been poured into my lap! (see Luke 6:38) I have a loving family and very giving parents. I have a computer on which I can type emails and on which I can do my graphic design homework so I don't have to go to the computer lab. I have a 4-wheel drive vehicle which is great for getting around in bad weather and which was jam-packed full of stuff when I moved up here in the fall. I've been blessed with such health that my goal is to gain weight rather than to lose it. When I'm thirsty all I have to do is grab some juice or a Dr.Pepper out of the fridge or just walk around the corner to the water fountain. When I'm hungry all I have to do is walk across the street to Brough. If Brough is closed all I have to do is drive to Taco Bell which is open until 4 in the morning. If it's closed, all I have to do is drive a little further down 6th Street to the 24-Hour Wal-Mart Supercenter with "everyday low prices." And you know what's ever better? Even if the prices weren't all that everyday low, I could still afford what I need. I have a scholarship to the University of Arkansas and a brain capable of earning the grades required to keep it. I have you guys as friends and can think of no place I would rather be (except Heaven or maybe Cluj, Romania). Above all those wonderful things, I have the Spirit of God inside me and the blood of Christ continually cleansing me. What did I do to deserve all this?! Absolutely nothing. Thankfully, I have a Heavenly Father who loves me so much that His desire to give never ends!!! WOOOOOOW!!!!!! I have been so blessed! I know you have, too. Think about it.

However, with great blessing comes great responsibility. For, "from everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." (Luke 12:48b) That's tough stuff. That says to me that I've got a lot of giving and living for God to do.

Here are some verses to ponder:

"Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and things that are not—to nullify things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness, and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: 'Let Him who boasts boast in the Lord.' "
1 Corinthians 1:26-31

"When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the Lord your God for the good land he has given you. Be careful that you do not forget the Lord your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day. Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied, then your heart will become proud and you will forget the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. He led you through the vast and dreadful desert, that thirsty and waterless land, with its venomous snakes and scorpions. He brought you water out of hard rock. He gave you manna to eat in the desert, something your fathers had never known, to humble and to test you so that in the end it might go well with you. You may say to yourself, ‘My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.’ But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your forefathers, as it is today."
Deuteronomy 8:10-18

Well, it's one in the morning so I should probably start studying for my Philosophy of Art test. You crazy kids have a great day!

In HIM,
Mitch


[Note: In no way was this counting of my blessings meant to make anyone else feel less blessed. I know not everyone has been blessed equally or in the same ways. But I know we all have plenty to be thankful for. As I said in the text of the email: think about it.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home