eRFC

two years of electronic ministry in the razorbacks for christ campus ministry

My Photo
Name:
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas, United States

Thursday, April 05, 2001

Back in the Day

As I sit here in my shorts in this stuffy dorm, I'm reminded of the hot summer days of my childhood. I'm reminded of my little, round, blue plastic swimming pool from Wal-Mart (or maybe Target or K-Mart). You know, the one with the dinky little slide that curves around one side and colorful fish printed on the bottom. Those were the bomb til they warped or til it rained and a bunch of pine needles and gross stuff somehow got in them. I'm reminded of one particular hot summer afternoon, standing in the middle of my little pool in the middle of my driveway in nothing but my scooby underoos with my little boy pot belly sticking out, the best tan of my life, and buzzed sandy blond hair. Ahh, those were the days. No grooming required and very few articles of clothing required as well. My summer days consisted of annoying my big brother, playing outside, going to the neighborhood pool, and going to the grocery store with my mom. Homework on school nights might be an addition worksheet, a spelling assignment, and reading a story with one of my parents. Those days were definitely WORRY-FREE days of DEPENDENCE on my parents, TRUSTING what they and just about anyone had to say. Like Mark talked about tonight, let's try to be more like the little child that Jesus called to him.

Another attribute, Mark, that I just thought of is that kids are NOT JUDGEMENTAL. A kid will say ‘hi’ to an ugly or smelly or old person just as quickly as they'll say ‘hi’ to a nice looking, clean person. Color of skin, hair style, fashion, financial status, and popularity matter not to a child.

Ooh, I just thought of another: EASILY SATISFIED. The kids that I got to spend so much time with in Romania are playing in my mind right now. All they needed for lunch was a couple of slices of bread and all they needed for a day of fun was a little attention and a hug, a menga (ball), and a dirt field for soccer. They didn't even need that much! They just needed a tiny carport and some rusty bars in the shape of a soccer goal! Having fun with me didn't ever require that we understand a word we said to each other. God bless those kids.

Praise be to God for the example that the Karnes family is! ...the Christian leader, husband, and father that Scott is; the Christian leader, wife, and mother that Denise is; the dependent, trusting, and worry-free lives that Davis and now Bailey live! I pray that God blesses them and that someday he blesses me and you with families that are as blessed. I pray that I and my wife and children can glorify God by being the example of a true Christian family that this world desperately needs more of.

Well, before I leave you with some verses, let me remind you about supper in the Union at 5:45ish.

Hope you can come to spring retreat this weekend. It's always awesome. Remember to carpool so we don't have too many cars. Apparently we have shifts leaving on Friday afternoon at about 3 and about 6. Also remember to eat before you come Friday and to brings snacks if you think you'll need a midnight snack. Please be praying about this weekend...for Wilson's devo, for all of our speaker's speeches, and all of our activities.

Ok, time for some verses and I'll let ya go:

"And he said, 'I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.'" Matthew 18:3,4

"My heart is not proud, O Lord, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me. But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me. O Israel, put your hope in the Lord both now and forevermore." Psalm 131

"As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you; and you will be comforted over Jerusalem." Isaiah 66:13

Check out Matthew 21:12-16, then Psalm 8, then Matthew 11:20-30.

"If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him." Matthew 7:11

"And when you pray, do not keep babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him." Matthew 6:7,8

Have a great day!
In Him,
Mitch

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home